Sunday, October 26, 2008

Homemade brownies

As part of Colten's school work this Thursday, he was learning to follow a recipe. We chose to do homemade chocolate brownies. He made them completely by himself, from start to finish, and they turned out to be really tasty. The only help I gave him was to lay out all of the bowls, measuring cups, etc. Mahala greased and floured the pan in which they were to be baked cause she HAD to do something (it was so hard for her to sit by and watch Bubba cooking without her). I was so proud of both of them - they did a really great job!! Here are a few pictures~~


Here, he is just getting started with measuring everything:








"Oh, yeah, gotta preheat the oven!"




He's mixing everything up:




Of course, he had to lick the spoon!


This is Colten, realizing that part of cooking is cleaning up the mess! Look at that face!!!





This is the recipe that he used:

Absolutely Best Brownies

½ cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
½ cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour an 8x8 or 9x9 inch baking pan.

2.In a medium bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Mix in vanilla. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.

3.Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in preheated oven, or until edges are firm. Cool before cutting into squares.


And here is the finished product:

Mmmmm-mmmmm good!!! These were a great basic recipe for brownies, but next time he has decided to add some chocolate chips to the mix. (We've already gone to the store and bought them - he's decided that this will be HIS special recipe and he will just add nuts, chocolate or caramel to change it up).
I know, I know-long post with lotsa pictures. But this was Colten's first solo baking experience! And he did such a great job! I'm so proud of my boy!!!

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Good Job Colten...those look yummy!!! I will try out your recipie. Mom, the blog is not too long, many of mine are way longer. It's your blog and your children so share what you want to. I love it. Great post. and Yummy brownies...
ps..Kameron walked up while I was reading your post and said, "Hey, Colten"..he recognized him from church. So he enjoyed reading your post too. Thanks for sharing.

Rick and Sheri said...

Aww Larena I love it! We love long posts with lots of pictures. Colten looks so cute in his apron baking. I guess "cute" would probably not be a word he would want to be called but he is! What a great lesson for following instructions. And great job taking all the step by step pictures. You are so getting this thing down! Love you guys!

Four Lil Monkeys said...

P. Sheri - Colten is fine with cute, I call him that all the time! Thanx for the comment, love ya'll too!!

Kristi - That's funny that Kameron recognized Colten, I was looking at your post one day and Colten said "Hey, I know him!" We looked at the dinosaur videos together - Colten wanted to see more. Hey, I heard that you gave my hubby a hard time at church Sunday, LOL!! He was the "security" guy trying to get into the green room in Clovis. I thought it was funny, I told him that you are the one on the blog, so he finally put it together who you are.