Thursday, November 6, 2008

Homemade Potato Soup


I just made one of the best potato soups I have ever tasted!! I got it off of RecipeZaar, this is the first recipe I have ever gotten from this website and I am very pleased. I copied and pasted it onto my page exactly as it appeared on the website. Here it is:

Easy, Creamy Potato Soup Recipe #15165
Easy and very creamy soup with taste! Great served with grilled cheese sandwiches. Will satisfy even the meat lovers in your family.
by Karen From Colorado
30 min 10 min prep

SERVES 6 -8

5-6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
1/2-1 lb bacon
1/4-1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup frozen corn kernels or whole kernel corn, drained
1 medium onion, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup butter (optional)
salt and pepper, to taste
Fry bacon until crisp (see recipe #242966 for homemade bacon bit tips). Remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve bacon grease.
Meanwhile, boil potatoes in a large dutch oven in water; do not add salt! Drain.
Pour reserved bacon grease into empty dutch oven; saute onion and garlic in reserved bacon grease until onion is lightly browned.
Add flour to the sauted onion mixture, stirring to evenly brown; add cream and stir constantly until mixture thickens; add chicken broth and stir until bubbly.
Stir potatoes, corn and crumbled bacon into the soup; add butter, salt and pepper to taste. (you may not need salt. Bacon is very salty) Simmer until butter is melted and stirred into soup.
Add milk at little at a time if soup is too thick for your tastes.

© 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com/

This soup was so creamy, different from others I have made in the past. And it was just a really heartwarming soup for the cool weather. I did a few things differently, simply b/c I was trying to use the stuff I had in my own kitchen without going to the store. I did not use bacon at all, so to saute the onions I had to use shortening and butter. I also didn't have garlic, so I used garlic powder. I used creamed corn instead of kernel b/c that's what I had. The last thing I did differently is that I added a five cheese blend b/c my family loves cheese. I think that this made a big difference in the flavor, so if your family likes cheese I would suggest going with it! I think that this soup could be made into a spicy southwestern style soup and be really delicious (minus the bacon, of course). I can't wait to try it with bacon, but even if we don't like the bacon, I will definitely be doing this soup again. I might try some mexicorn next time and maybe some spicy cheddar cheese.


3 comments:

Brewskie said...

Ok, I'm not a soup fan at all, but this actually looks pretty good. Actually it sounds good too. Mmmm...I might have to try it!

Aguayo Family said...

That sounds good, we have been making things like this in our crock-pot and we would make a big batch so we can freeze containers to eat later. This is nice when you are in a pinch and don't have anything planned for dinner.

Rick and Sheri said...

Ok, this looks great to serve on one of our overcast cold autumn days that we're having! Thanks for sharing because this is one I will definitely try!