Friday, November 7, 2008

Word Works

We had Word Works again last night and it was awesome, as usual. I am working on training up a couple of new table leaders and they are gonna be awesome!! They are so full of the Word of God - I am excited to see what all God has in store for them!


Our Bible study this week was on Bathsheba. It's funny because I never looked at the story of David and Bathsheba from the perspective of Bathsheba. I think most people would agree that we all concentrate on David's side of the story. But our Bible study required us to think a little more deeply about Bathsheba's motives and to examine our own motives in life. It really made me think about how my state of mind can affect the decisions I make. I mean, think about Bathsheba. If her husband had been at home, available to her and making her feel like a wonderful wife and woman, she might have made a different decision. Or if she had been focused on God instead of feeling sorry for herself because her noble man was out fighting the king's battle. But instead, she was probably feeling vulnerable and insecure about herself. So when King David called for her, she jumped at the chance to feel loved. (This is all my interpretation, some people saw her as the victim). Regardless, it made me think about how when I am not keeping my eyes focused on God, it is so much easier to fall into sin. Just like David, if he had been out on the battlefield, where he was supposed to be, instead of bored out of his mind in his castle - he wouldn't have called for her in the first place. Then this whole situation could have been avoided, the baby wouldn't have died and there wouldn't have been curses on David's house. Thank God that He is so merciful and forgives us when we make stupid decisions. Once David's sin was revealed and he repented, God was able to use him. Ultimately, God uses David and Bathsheba because Jesus is one of their descendants.

It really made me think about how we need to be so careful to remain focused on God. The times I fall into sin are the times when I have let my eye stray to my circumstances instead of God. Instead of looking at how huge my God is, I am focused on how scary the storm is. If I will just continue reading the Word, meditating on it and speaking it out, all the while praying to God and maintaining that relationship, I won't be as likely to fall. But every time I get sidetracked, satan is right there to steal, kill and destroy anything he can get his hands on. It is so important to be led by the Holy Spirit and allow our footsteps to be ordered by God. There is NO storm that is too big for Him to calm. And there is nothing more peaceful than abiding in Him in the midst of the storms of life.